Where Have You Been?

Heard this today and it really echoed in my heart. My parents would have been married 65 years the year my dad died. In 2007 my dad had surgery and ended up in rehab. My mom had a heart episode and ended up in the hospital and then rehab in the room right next to dad. From there they went to a nursing home together, never to return to their home. This song reminds me of them.

Claire had all but given up
When she and Edwin fell in love
She touched his face and shook her head
In disbelief she sighed and said
In many dreams I’ve held you near
Now at last you’re really here

Chorus
Where have you been?
I’ve looked for you for ever and a day
Where have you been?
I’m just not myself when you’re away

He asked her for her hand for life
Then she became a salesman’s wife
He was home each night by 8
But one stormy evening he was late
Her frightened tears fell to the floor
Until his key turned in the door

Chorus

They’d never spent a night apart
For 60 yrs she heard him snore
Now they’re in a hospital
In separate beds on different floors

Claire soon lost her memory, forgot the names of family
She never spoke a word again
Then one day they wheeled him in
He held her hand and stroked her hair
In a fragile voice she said

Chorus

Where have you been
Ive searched for you forever and a day
Where have you been
I’m just not myself when your away
I’m just not myself when your away

Comments

1. Lucy says:

After reading the words to this song, I just have to ask if you have heard the song “Walking Her Home” by Mark Schultz?

Blessings

2. Barb G says:

Just a big ((((hug)))). I miss my Momma all the time, esp as I parent. Hope today is a good day, dear Marty.

3. this past november, the kids’ bio greatgranddad passed. He and his wife were the only grandparents I’d ever known. their picture will stay on my fridge forever.

When we met pop 15 years ago, he’d just recovered from a massive stroke. We never thought he’d outlive Noni. But this april marks 5 years since her passing and six years since she was able to speak – an stroke took her ability to speak.

While Noni wasted away over the course of a year, the increasingly frail Pop tried in vain to care for her … until he required his own convalescent care.

They are survived by 23 and counting great grands, three of which I am proud to parent. I miss them both very much.

4. Christine says:

Sorry for your loss. What a sweet couple they must have been. I lost my Dad a year back.. I miss him too.

5. wchatch says:

I just found your blog via Laurel’s “Our Journey of Faith.” I feel I must comment. I love the song. My parents, who are still living (89 and 87) have been married 70 years. My dad just spent some time in a nursing home and in the 3 months he was there, my mother missed only three days going to visit him. We live in West Virginia and the weather was just too icy and snowy those days. Now that he is home, I find them often just sitting and holding hands. It is such a witness to their faith and we as a family are so blessed. What sweet memories you and I have and such a heritage.

Wilma in West Virginia