We Interrupt this Regularly Scheduled Christmas Post

Yes, this season of Christmas joy has not been without its challenges and surprises.

As many of you know my oldest daughter Rachel has been pregnant with our first grandchild. Her due date? January 13th.

(You can read all about the announcement and the baby gender reveal party if you want to know more!)

Merry Christmas Baby - Marty's Musings

My DIY hubby of 27 years has had rotator cuff surgery scheduled for Tuesday, December 16th, for several weeks. Our grandson was specifically told he could not come during this time!

Tim and I spent several hours at the surgical center that day getting his surgery completed (in which they also found and fixed a bicep tear.) While on the way to the drugstore to pick up pain meds (because I KNEW we needed them!) Rachel called to tell me she was on the way to the doctor to make sure she wasn’t leaking amniotic fluid. She had recently had a few instances of high blood pressure as well but nothing of great concern.

Merry Christmas Baby - Marty's Musings

Once she saw the doctor he immediately sent her to the hospital where preeclampsia was diagnosed and an induction planned for the following day. This was just a few short hours after Tim’s surgery and getting him back home settled.

I frantically started packing my hospital “grandma” bag while praying that I would not have to choose between helping Tim and being with Rachel.

Merry Christmas Baby - Marty's Musings

I went to bed for a light sleep around 12:30 with plans to leave for the hospital (30 miles away) at 7 am. Rachel texted me at 6 and said not to worry about rushing because they wouldn’t start the Petocin until she was further dilated. Gratefully I went back into another light sleep (you mamas know what I mean, sleeping with one eye and both ears open!) I had been checking on Tim throughout the night and monitoring his pain and meds.

One hour later Donny called, telling me it was my favorite son-in-law. After reminding him he was my only son-in-law he told me baby Aiden decided to flip in the last hour, was now breech and they were headed for a C-section!

Merry Christmas Baby - Marty's Musings

Glory day! I leapt out of that bed and was dressed and out the door in 10 minutes, to face the only thing I really hoped to avoid: 8 AM traffic on the busiest highway in the area.

Add to this the fact my 1995 van decided to try and overheat and I was a hot mess! As I sat at a complete standstill on the highway (because of a  two car wreck on the side of the road) I loudly proclaimed Satan was not going to keep me from my date with my new grandson!

Once I arrived at the hospital I spent 20 minutes with my daughter reassuring and loving on her before she was whisked off to the operating room. A few minutes later baby Aiden entered the world at 7 pounds 6 ounces and 20 inches long! That four week preterm kiddo was ready to make his arrival and didn’t need any more days baking in mama’s tummy!

Welcome to the world our Merry Christmas baby, Aiden James Baldridge!

Merry Christmas Baby - Marty's Musings

Flashback 22 years minus 5 days to the birth of my son Joshua. I was also hospitalized for preeclampsia (then called toxemia), found out he was breech and ended up with an emergency c-section. Joshua was born perfectly healthy at 6 pounds 3 ounces, exactly 4 weeks early.

Who knew all these years later my daughter would repeat this family story?

God knew and He had it all under control!

Merry Christmas Baby - Marty's Musings

Somehow blog posts, deadlines and Christmas decor faded into oblivion and God got my attention with the only things that really count: love, family and the blessing of a Savior who was born in a lowly manger over 2000 years ago. Oh, how sweet Mary must have wept at the sight of the precious babe.

Merry Christmas Baby - Marty's Musings

Tonight I weep in gratitude for my God who “knows the plans He has for us; plans to prosper us and not to harm us. plans to give us hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

(Some of the pictures are courtesy of JLY Designs Photography, second cousin to baby Aiden!)

Comments

1. Jamala says:

congratulations on your new bundle of joy

2. Denise says:

Congrats on your new grandson – he’s a beauty! We also are expecting our first grandchild any day now…..very exciting!

3. Linda K says:

Congratulations!!! Grandchildren are a blessing from the Lord!!! They are also a tremendous Joy to be with!!!

Thank you, Linda! We’re looking forward to this new role!

4. Diana says:

How exciting Marty and congratulations, Grandma. I hope you are able to get some rest and that you and your family have a joyful Christmas. Nothing has been easy this year, but God is watching and in charge.

You’re right, Diana. It’s been a hard but blessed year. God is showing his great grace in allowing us to be with baby Aiden during these Christmas holidays. Thank you for the reminder, friend!

5. April Peck says:

Oh, Marty! I am just overjoyed for you, Rachel, Donny, and the rest of the family! I can’t wait to meet Aiden, and I know you are going to be an amazing grandma!! May you and your family have a wonderful and blessed Christmas!!! May His peace rush over you all, and you experience a happiness and joy beyond measure!!

April, you’re such a sweetie. Aiden is just the most precious baby ever and we get to enjoy him early. What a blessing! Love you!

6. Mary says:

Marty, Congratulations on your new addition – Aiden James Baldridge! You all look so happy to have this little bundle of joy in your arms! He is absolutely beautiful and Rachel and Donny are going to make such loving parents! Tim and you and all of the rest of the family are so blessed to have such a perfect new addition to your family! Congratulations and I hope that you are able to get some sleep now!

Hi, Mary. I’m working on that sleep requirement but loving how God is letting us enjoy Aiden a few weeks early!

7. Oh, Marty! This week might have been just a little TOO exciting for you, huh? SO grateful that your precious grandson arrived safe and sound. Now you have two post-surgical patients to care for, so be sure to take care of yourself as well. So happy for you all! Bless you!!!

Richella, God is just keeping us on our toes and dependent on Him! So many blessings this year to remind us these trials are just for a season. Blessings to you, sweet friend!

8. Lisa says:

{swoon} He is ADORABLE! What a GREAT Christmas gift! Enjoy every blessed minute…oh, and praying your hubby quickly well! 🙂

Thank you so much, Lisa! We are so blessed this Christmas! I hope your life is calm (ha!) and full of life togetherness as ours will be!

9. Mary says:

He looks perfect What a cutie congrats & Merriest of Christmas’s!

10. Wendy says:

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Love that story. Congratulations!

11. What a wonderful Christmas gift, Marty! He is simply precious. God is so good. Have a blessed holiday season…complete with lots of baby snuggles. Those infant days are all too fleeting.

Thank you, Heather! Aiden is indeed a precious gift and we’re so grateful God was watching over his precious life. Merry Christmas!

12. Congratulations, Marty! He is adorable and it’s wonderful news that everyone is doing fine. May you and your family have a Merry Christmas!!

Denyse

Denyse, yes we think Aiden is adorably perfect! Thanks for taking the time to comment! Merry Christmas!

13. Barbara Ann says:

Joy to the World! ! I’m bursting with glory for you. Many blessings on God’s gift to your family. May your husband heal quickly. And together enjoy this Christmas gift. I hope your daughter is well and pray for your son in-law. Merry Christmas to all.
    Barbara Ann

Hi, Barbara Ann. My husband is doing well, but it’s a long recovery with difficult physical therapy. But this Christmas we’re just reveling in our precious new gift! Merry Christmas to you!

14. Awww…congratulations, sweet friend! He is just beautiful!!!! I’m glad to hear that everyone is doing well. Hope that Tim recovers quickly! Merry Christmas. This will be hard gift to top!

Thank you, Suzy!You’re right, there’s no topping this gift! We have everything we could ever want. Merry Christmas, sweet friend!