Ways to Organize Jewelry

Ways to Organize Jewelry - Marty's Musings

I don’t know about you, but finding ways to organize jewelry is difficult. Even though this may not be the cutest organizer you’ve ever seen it is a lifesaver for me!

It started with transforming my son’s bedroom into my scrapbook room. I know. Messy, messy.

You can see the tool drawers I had for all sorts of embellishments and “stuff.” It took up way too much space on my old countertop. (Each of these drawer units cost between $20-$25 retail.)

Here’s an after pic of the closet in my scrapbook room. You can see that I repurposed one of the drawer units for alphabet letters and misc. embellishments.

And yes, I love to label things ~smile~

What did I do with the other units?  Since jewelry organization has been a thorn in my side for YEARS, I repurposed one of these hardware storage units for some of my jewelry.  I do have a decent amount of jewelry, all inexpensive and mostly found at yard sales or passed down.

I needed better organization for my earrings and bracelets so one of these units was perfect for my bedroom. As you can see above I used labels (found at a yard sale, of course) on the drawers when I stored my scrapbook embellishments in them. These labels helped me to identify the contents. Big mistake. The labels did not come off well. We used goo gone, fingernail polish remover and soaking.

You can tell below that some of the sticky is still left on the units.

Although you can’t really tell it, I have my jewelry divided into colors, earrings and bracelets separated. This system works best for me to find what I need quickly. Now, how to remember what was in each drawer?

In order to find some way of making the unit more attractive, the first thing was to spray paint the unit white.

I actually made my first attempt at spray painting (which is funny since my DIY husband is a painter), but he finished the job for me. I just have to get him to give me some pointers. Then I grabbed some labels and my corner rounder.

I sized the labels for the different drawers and then used white dots and shaded them according to my drawer colors.

Here it is! I know this won’t earn any great prize on pinterest but I repurposed something rather utilitarian and made it useful and much prettier to look at it (as well as organized the heck out of it!)

I also used my label maker for a few of my drawers to further identify the contents.

Here are the drawers in my bedroom. This project did take a bit of time, but I am wearing more of my jewelry now that I can find it! I still have a few drawers that are empty so I know what to be looking for on my yard sale travels!

Want to see more of our DIY projects? Simply click on the picture to go straight to the post for details!

DIY Kitchen from Marty's Musings

Chocolate brown wall filled with the words Family Is……unique, joy, chosen, a blessing, forever, love, fun, forgiven, cut from white vinyl with Cricut die cut machine, with black and white pictures in white frames

From drab to fab! Den Makeover from Marty's Musings

Comments

1. What a great idea!! i can never figure out how to organize all my jewelry.
    i would love for you to jump over to our party and share this idea with us.

Thank you for the compliment! I’ve had so much fun having things organized!

2. Great idea!!

3. Doreen says:

Very, very nice! I can see you’re a ‘jewelry gal’! I recently purchased the ‘little black dress’ jewelry organizer at The Container Store. It’s super cute but limited as to what it can hold. This is awesome! (Found you on Penny Pinching)

I really don’t wear a ton of jewelry (unless I’m going out), but this makes me want to dress up more and be a good steward of what I have. Thanks for visiting!

4. Thank you so much for sharing this jewelry box redo with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. I really like this. It is so cute.
    Debi Bolocofsky

5. That’s a great idea for organizing your jewelry! I love it! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional 🙂

Thanks, Jessi. I’ve enjoyed linking up with your blog each week.

6. Donna Heber says:

What a fantastic idea! Sure wish I had that much jewelry 🙂 Thank you for sharing it all with us.

I really do have a a ton of jewelry, most of it inherited or passed down or thrifted! I rarely ever buy anything new.

7. Great idea – now the bed needs some froofing up …

Popped in from Wow Us Wednesday.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Working on a redo of the bedroom (starting with yard sale curtains!(

8. Brilliant idea….total organization! Thanks for linking up on Centerpiece Wednesday!
    Karin

9. Rachel says:

Great idea! And I know exactly what you mean about actually wearing your jewelry only when you can find it! 😛 Too true!

10. I love this! I am going to try this ASAP!
    Morgan @forgivenformerfeminist.blogspot.com

Please let me know how this works for you. Have a great day!

11. Cute idea. Love the way it turned out. Would love to invite you to link up and share over at Curb Alert’s! Friday Block Party. Hope to see you there! http://tamicurbalert.blogspot.com/2012/08/friday-block-party-13-come-join-us.html
    Tami @ Curb Alert!

12. CC says:

What a great idea! Love it! 😉

13. Suzy says:

Hi Marty. Just came by to introduce myself. I’m a fellow blogger living in Greensboro too! I saw your comment saying that you live in Greensboro on Southern Hospitality’s ticket giveaway to the Southern Bloggers Conference. Suzy @ Worthing Court

Hi, Suzy! Good to know you’re in Greensboro. Do you go to a local church? I enjoyed looking around your blog. Are you actually going to the Southern Bloggers Conference? I’ve thought about but haven’t decided. Have a blessed day!

14. Great idea! I am forever trying to figure out the best way to organize things ( and failing!)

I love to organize once I set my mind to it, but I can’t tell you how long this jewelry was unused before I did something about it! (our little secret 🙂

15. Very orderly! Im in need of some organization.
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

16. Fabulous idea! You are so organized… I’m jealous! Thanks for sharing with us this week!

Take care,

Trish

17. Candice says:

Very neat idea!!! I am no re thinking my organization skills!

Candice

18. Jenni says:

What a neat idea… I don’t have nearly enough jewelry to do this, but if I ever do, I will keep it in mind! 🙂

I somehow inherited/found all this jewelry! I don’t spend money at all on it but I’ve acquired some! Thanks for stopping by.

19. Kristina says:

Following from Mom’s Monday Mingle!

I need me a scrapbook room.

Please come by & say Hello if you haven’t already. (And follow back) 🙂

Kristina

20. What a great system! Love the color coding! My Get Social Sunday link party is live. Would love to have you come link up your homepage and promote your blog!

I love being organized. It just makes me feel like I accomplished something. Have a great day!

21. Michele says:

Marty, that looks great and very efficient. You did a wonderful job.

Thank you, Michele. It’s not the prettiest solution but it is effective. Thanks for coming by!

22. Tauni says:

Great solution. My jewelry i in a constant jumble and is in definite need of some serious help!

Thanks for sharing on Show & Tell at SNAP!

xoxo, Tauni

23. Surabhi says:

This looks so organised..may be I can do something like this for my little girl….she has more jewellery than me I think 🙂
    Found you through Monday Mingle…and I’m your newest follower now…off to see some more of your work….hope you can see some of my work whenever you can…

24. I love how organized it is!

25. I am a huge jewelry person but keeping it organized can be such a challenge. This is a great idea. I would love it if you would share this on Tout It Tuesday. http://www.claimingourspace.com/2012/08/tout-it-tuesday-19.html

26. now follow you through GFC and found you through the mom’s monday mingle!

27. Jenni says:

This idea will come in handy at our house to rein in both of my girls’ growing jewelry collection. I especially like the color coding.

28. Lisa says:

What a great idea! I’m so glad you shared it.

Thanks,
    Lisa

http://www.moretobe.com & http://www.pnpcoaching.com

29. braccio says:

Nice blog. I want to know more about this in future.

30. Wow, LOVE the organization! I am an organization freak myself so I can really appreciate this space! Great Job!

31. Nice repurpose! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

32. What a great idea – my jewelry is always a tangled mess and can never find half the things. Now I’ve got some inspiration. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do:)

33. Lynn says:

Love this idea! I can’t find how you organized your necklaces though…do you have a post on that? Or do you put your necklaces in the same containers as the other jewelry?

34. Ashley says:

Thanks for this tutorial….did you post one about how you organize your necklaces? That’s where I need the most help!
    Thanks 🙂

Hi, Ashley. You were so nice about my jewelry organization post, and I wanted to tell you I never wrote the one on my necklaces! They’re all organized but not on the blog yet! Soon I hope! Thanks for stopping by Marty’s Musings.

35. Adrian says:

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it,
    you’re a great author.I will always bookmark your blog and will eventually come back
    later in life. I want to encourage continue your great writing, have a nice day!

36. Hey Marty!
    Do you mind if I share this great organizing idea on my other blog, Organize and Inspire? I would use 1 or 2 pics with full credit to you and a link back to your site.
    Just let me know.
    Thanks!
    Traci

Hi, Traci! Thank you so much for asking about my jewelry organizer. Of course, I’d love for you to share it and I went in and cleaned it up a bit because it was an old post! Thanks so much!

37. Amazing issues here. I am very satisfied to look your post.
    Thanks a lot and I am having a look ahead to contact you.
    Will you kindly drop me a mail?

38. Ilene says:

Como pênis não é constituído de músculos, fica mais fácil acreditar em Papai Noel do
    que no seu engrandecimento pela via dos exercícios.

39. Tanisha says:

En plus, les gras, malgré leur haute teneur énergétique, rassasient moins que les protéines.