Your family will love this meatless Slow Cooker Rice and Beans recipe. Made with regular rice, beans and tomatoes it couldn’t be easier or taste better!
My DIY husband is a meat and potatoes kind of guy.
Can anyone else relate?
His favorite meal is bacon and Cap’n Crunch.
That was his most memorable Father’s Day ever.
There is only one meatless meal that he loves, and it’s my slow cooker rice and beans.
It is so stinkin’ easy and my family will eat on it for days because I make a double batch.
It doesn’t cost much, is super convenient to prepare and can be frozen in wraps or tortillas for later.
Top it with salsa, sour cream, tomatoes, cheese and anything else that floats your boat.
Seriously, I hate to take credit for something so easy, but you need to try it and let me know what your family thinks.
Slow Cooker Rice and Beans
- 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 oz. can tomatoes and chiles
- 2 tbs oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Put the 2 tbs oil in bottom of your slow cooker and add the rice. Swirl rice around in the oil until it is coated well.
- Drain and rinse beans and add them.
- Drain the tomatoes but reserve the liquid in a measuring cup. Add tomatoes.
- Add water to the measuring cup with tomato juice. You will need 4 cups of total liquid.
- Add seasonings and stir well.
- Cook on low for 5 hours or on high for 3 hours. Dish is done when rice is tender.
- If necessary, add additional water towards end of cooking if it appears dry.
- Serve with tortillas or wraps and toppings.
You can use whatever beans you like the best.
If you prefer less spicy, use 2 cans of tomatoes (without chiles).
Want to check out more of my slow cooker ideas? Simply click on the pictures below to be taken directly to the post.
Linking with: I Should be Mopping the Floor, The Better Mom, The Alabaster Jar, Balancing Beauty and Bedlam, Savvy Southern Style, 52 Mantels, Chic on a Shoestring Budget, Craftomaniac, The Alabaster Jar, Skip to My Lou, The Modest Mom