“When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.”
“When life give you lemons, eat them, they’re good for you.”
“When life gives you lemons, accept them graciously.”
All these quotes from my pal “unknown” sum up our lives this past month.
Since my DIY hubby had two surgeries in December, including rotator cuff repair, our “normal” routines are no longer normal. Rehab from this surgery is a six month process, which means Tim can’t work his day job as a painting contractor.
For now it means he’s home 24/7, albeit with one good, non-dominant arm.
We are looking at this time of recovery/unemployment/job search as the means to reevaluate both his job and my blogging business. We want to take advantage of opportunities that have opened for me and turn this closed door into an open window!
For the first six weeks of Tim’s recovery I was chauffeur and errand runner, and he’s taken over most of the homeschooling. (Did you hear that shout from my last two teenagers? Oh, sorry. That was me! After 21 years of homeschooling this mama needs a break!)
As our roles are ever evolving, one of the constants is family dinner.
This nightly routine has always been an important part of our daily life. It’s just something we do, like getting dressed or doing chores.
It’s an intentional choice to eat as many evening meals together as possible and reaffirm our commitment to just being together. Nothing fancy, just family.
Like me, this quick and easy dinner recipe isn’t fancy but tastes great and was ready in under 30 minutes.
Since my husband’s cooking repertoire usually only consists of pancakes and grilling, this recipe was perfect for him.
With pasta and cheese that is gluten free, Horizon Organic is committed to organic standards and ingredients. Your family doesn’t have to know that but you will! They’ll just know it tastes great!
What’s your favorite way to spice up mac and cheese?
Check out the Horizon MAC-N-ATOR, the mac and cheese recipe generator that will surprise and delight your family, while making your life (a little) easier!
- 2 boxes Horizon Organic Mac & Cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tbs butter
- 2 cups frozen broccoli (spears or chopped), thawed
- 1 regular can mixed vegetables, drained
- parmesan cheese
- bread crumbs
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to a boil, stir in pasta and boil for 10-12 minutes or until done.
- While pasta is cooking, cook broccoli in microwave for about 3-4 minutes.
- Drain pasta and return to pot. Add milk, butter and cheese sauce and stir until blended.
- Drain broccoli and stir in with mixed vegetables.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bread crumbs before serving.
- You can rinse broccoli under hot water to thaw or cook a bit longer in the microwave if it's not thawed.
- A can of single vegetables such as carrots or peas can be substituted for mixed vegetables.
- If you need a smaller quantity simply cut this recipe in half.