Honey Lime Quinoa Stuffed Sweet PotatoesThis post may contain affiliate links which won't change your price but will share some commission.
Welcome back my daughter-in-love Emmaline for some yummy goodness for the hot summer! The only bad thing about her sharing her cooking prowess? I don’t get to taste a sample!
Well friends, as summer approaches and warm (or should I say HOT – I do reside in North Carolina, you know) weather comes sweeping over us, I am all about finding easy and refreshing meals to make after a long day’s work.
When I think easy and refreshing, I think light and healthy – grains like quinoa (don’t get scared by the “Q” word!), soft roasted sweet potatoes, and lots of yummy garnishes!
So when I came across a recipe from Jaclyn at Cooking Classy titled, “Honey-Lime Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes,” I was sold.
When it gets hot out, I honestly do not want to slave away in the kitchen slow cooking meat or preparing heavy meat dishes, for that matter.
Do not let the phrase “meatless meals” scare you away! I think if you give it a try, you will find that cooking meatless dishes every once and again is seriously satisfying.
This delicious recipe features roasted sweet potatoes, stuffed with fluffy and flavorful quinoa, black beans, and corn.
Of course, the options are endless to what kinds of things you can stuff a sweet potato with – if you’re feeling it, go ahead and swap out that corn for tomatoes – or add some sweet green chiles! Whatever your heart desires, seriously. And as for toppings, I like eating this dish “naked” – without cheese or sauces and the like, but you can put on whatever toppings float your boat: salsa, sour cream, guacamole! Have fun with it.
This summer (and on into the future), I hope to persuade you to join me in making some of these more adventurous and fun recipes – your body and your palate will thank you!
Honey Lime Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 15 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/4 tsp gorund coriander
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 tbs fresh lime juice
- 3 1/2 tbs honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbs chopped cilantro
- shredded cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub and rinse sweet potatoes then pierce several times with a fork.
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and cook in preheated oven until tender, about 40 minutes.
- While potatoes are baking, bring quinoa and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan, then reduce heat to low and cover and simmer 15 minutes, or until fluffy.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onion and saute until tender, about 4 minutes, adding in garlic during last 30 seconds of sauting. Add onion mixture to cooked quinoa, along with black beans, corn, cumin, paprika, coriander, cayenne, lime juice, honey and chopped cilantro.
- Toss mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut cooked sweet potatoes in half and scoop out some of the insides to create a bowl shape, while leaving about 1/2-inch of sweet potato intact (reserve potatoes can be kept in refrigerator and used for another recipe.)
- Fill baked sweet potatoes with quinoa mixture.
- If desired, sprinkle with cheese and broil until cheese is melted.
- Can be served with sour cream.