By making smart ingredient choices this Pasta Primavera recipe with Grilled Chicken and fresh (or frozen) vegetables is healthy AND delicious!
I recently shared how I finally looked at myself in the mirror and realized I had become a gray haired, middle aged, dumpy, lumpy grandma.
Yeah, it was not a happy moment. ~sigh~
The good news is I’ve done something about it!
The bad news is I haven’t shared how I did it yet but it’s coming!
Overcoming unhealthy relationships with food, conquering food boredom, or ending the excuses for not taking time to prepare home cooked food can be HARD!
Can I get an amen and pass the chocolate?
I can’t sit down and be your therapist on this one (you can breathe a sigh of relief now!) but I can share my Pasta Primavera Recipe with Grilled Chicken that will at least head you in the right direction towards healthier eating.
I’m learning that simple choices do make a difference.
By choosing olive oil over vegetable, chicken broth and fat-free half and half over a higher calorie cream sauce and whole wheat pasta whenever possible you’ll never even notice the difference!
While it may not be easy, it IS possible to make healthier food and lifestyle choices. Do you have any healthy recipes you can share with me?
Pasta Primavera Recipe with Grilled Chicken
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts cut into strips
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 2 cups bite-sized broccoli pieces can use frozen
- 1 large green bell pepper seeded and sliced into strips
- 2 tbs butter
- 4 oz white mushrooms washed and sliced
- 2 medium zucchini sliced diagonally
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup fat-free half and half
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- fresh basil to taste I used dried
- Pasta I used whole wheat linguine
- Start water for pasta and boil to al dente while completing the following steps.
- Heat 2 tbs olive oil over medium-high heat in saute pan and cook chicken 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through and browned. Remove from pan, cut into small pieces and keep covered with plastic wrap.
- Add 2 tbs oil to saute pan and cook carrots for 1 minutes. Add broccoli and cook 1 minute (if frozen, cook until soft). Add the green peppers and tomatoes and cook an additional 1 minute. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside with the chicken.
- Add the butter and remaining 1 tbs oil to the pan and allow it to heat up. Add the mushrooms and zucchini and cook until vegetables start to soften, about 2-3 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the pan and add to other vegetables.
- Add the garlic and onions to the pan and cook until starting to turn translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Next pour in the chicken broth and wine, stirring to scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen bits of flavor. Cook the liquid for 3-4 minutes, reducing by half. Stir in the half and half and Parmesan cheese and allow cheese to melt. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the chicken and vegetables to the pan along with the peas and basil. Stir completely to combine. If the sauce needs more liquid add more a bit more broth.
- Drain pasta, place in large serving bowl and pour chicken and vegetables with sauce over the pasta. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with extra basil and Parmesan.
Some of my favorite bloggers have joined together to share more great pasta recipes ideas below!