Chalk Painted Furniture Tips

Chalk Painted Small Kitchen Buffet from Marty's Musings

Can you remember way back to being a student in school? (And for some of us, that’s farther back than others!)

I can and I never realized until I graduated from college how much of an A personality, workaholic I am.

I don’t like to rest until a project is finished.

And our kitchen project seems like it will never be completed.

Still, my faithful husband and I soldier on, one little piece at a time.

We continue our love of chalk painted furniture with our (his) latest project. We use it for the mundane purpose of storing dog food, but at least it’s enclosed!

It wasn’t really begging to be re-worked, but because its home was in the kitchen that we are constantly currently updating, we decided to give it a facelift. It’s quite the sturdy piece, with bold drawer handles that would be retained.

Small Kitchen Buffet from Marty's Musings

Material list? Chalk paint and brush at this point – add sandpaper later. Paint look familiar?

Small Kitchen Buffet from Marty's Musings

White chalk paint accents on the drawer and cabinet fronts just gave it a little pop and reduced the “big blue blob” affect in the corner of the room. Painted over the hinges for speed.

Small Kitchen Buffet from Marty's Musings

Some well-placed distressing with 60-grit sandpaper and this project is just about complete. As on previous projects, think about natural wear-and-tear when distressing; around the handles is always a good spot, as are corners. Everything else serves to break up the color.

Small Kitchen Buffet from Marty's Musings

The finished piece! So very simple and just the right touch in the room.

Small Kitchen Buffet from Marty's Musings

I’m always surprised by how much age a little distressing can bring to a piece. Just a close up of some of the detail.

Small Kitchen Buffet from Marty's Musings

Knobs and drawer pulls are original to the buffet.

Small Kitchen Buffet from Marty's Musings

I love how the aged knobs now look right at home!

Small Kitchen Buffet from Marty's Musings

Would you be able to guess that inside this little buffet is a big ol’ bag of dog food?

Small Kitchen Buffet from Marty's Musings

Or that our piles of homeschool books are usually on top?

Ahhhh, real life isn’t as pretty at this sweet little kitchen buffet.

Want to see more projects with chalk paint? Just click on each picture below to take you to the original post!

Mason Jar Chandelier by Martys Musings

Chalk Paint Furniture Tutorial from Marty's Musings

Old Window Photo Frame from Marty's Musings

Comments

1. MaytagNMom says:

Spot on! This is a lovely makeover— I should have something so fancy for my dog food storage!! ROTFL
    Seriously, very nice job, Marty!

Craft On & dance like no one else is watching 🙂

Visiting from Your Whims Wednesday @My Girlish Whims’ linky party
    Smiles,
    Suz @MaytagNMom
    NW Illinois
    My Party Project This Week

2. wow! This piece looks so good! I am usually not a fan of “shabby” furniture, but everthing looks perfect together (makes me want to create something similar!)
    I was wondering why do you use chalk paint?

3. Jacque says:

The finish on this piece is just lovely! Off to pin!

4. Cutest dog food storage ever! Great makeover : )

Jeanette

5. I love it! You did an awesome job! I especially like the distressing details, very nicely done!
    Selene @ restorationbeauty.com

6. What a difference pain makes! This cabinet was just a wallflower, but now it’s beautiful! I love this color:)
    XO,
    Christy

7. mandy says:

that’s amazing! turning a salvation army donation worthy piece to such an awesome furniture is such a inspiration!

8. Great makeover! I’m in the process of redoing a dresser and am struggling over a paint color. I also can’t wait to try chalk paint on something but am not sure if it will be this piece or something else.

I found your post through Richella’s Grace at Home party.

9. Melissa says:

This is just great! Thank you so much for sharing at our link party!

Melissa
    redflycreations(dot)com

10. Shanee says:

Great makeover. I love the color. Visting from BNOP, thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful week.

11. Looks great! I ordered some milk paint in the same color for some fruit crates I have. I hope mine turns out as nicely as yours.

12. Jamie says:

This looks fabulous! You did a great job! I’m your newest follower 😉 You should join my new linky party {1 party, 5 blogs!}
    Have a great week!
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

13. Marty! I just love how your cabinet turned out. The color is gorgeous.

14. Wow, this is beautiful. I love the colors you chose. Thanks for linking this up to Monday Funday!

15. Carol says:

I have a very similar cabinet I just changed from red to white. I love how you did the two tone.

Hi, Carol. Thanks for commenting on my kitchen buffet that we transformed with chalk paint and distressing. I’d love to see a picture of your red one (our den is done in red!) I’ll bet it’s amazing.
      [email protected]’s Musings

16. Love it, what a great color choice. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

17. Maureen says:

Love the colours you choose! It’s a very pretty answer to dealing with pet supplies in the kitchen.

Thanks, Maureen, for the comment on our kitchen buffet. It is a sneaky way to hide the dog food! I hope you will visit Marty’s Musings again.