Just Breathe In and Breathe Out

Amazing Grace - Marty's Musings

I take a deep breath.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

What was that breathing technique I saw online?

4-7-8

Inhale for a count of four.

Hold for a count of seven.

Exhale for a count of eight.

Jeremy Camp My Desire Simple Gift Sunday by Marty's Musings

Heart still flip flopping an extra beat.

I open my email and watch as the messages flood my inbox.

Stress.

To do lists.

Priorities.

Anxiety.

Amazing Grace Lyrics - Marty's Musings

Then I read in the news about those who truly suffer.

Famine. War. Homelessness.

How do I even have the right to be anxious about my little world?

Philippians 4:6 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”

When a Heart Breaks - Marty's Musings

Then I remember.

Enduring three weeks while my brother-in-law fought for his life after a massive cardiac arrest.

Three weeks pleading to God to restore him to health and win the battle raging inside his heart.

Our prayers for healing here on earth went unanswered and unfathomable grief overwhelmed us.

Not again. Not another loss.

Todd was not one of the lucky ones on this earth. His heart and body did not recover and his family is left to grieve his loss.

Yet we do not mourn without purpose, “like those who have no hope.” 1 Thessalonians 4:13

Citizen Way How Sweet the Sound VIdeo and Devotion

When we’ve been there ten thousand years, bright shining as the sun, we’ve no less days to sing God’s praise than when we’d first begun.

The Bible teaches us to not be afraid: Psalm 118:6 “The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”

I’m not sure I’ve learned this lesson well.

Or maybe God is not done teaching me to walk it out on these pages, this blog that is my heart and passion.

Thank you for praying for our family during recent weeks. We are grateful.

As the unaccompanied strains of “Amazing Grace” filled the church at the funeral we knew without a doubt that Todd had been set free.

Comments

1. Diana says:

I love the song Amazing Grace, it has always given me great peace. I hope that your family can heal soon Marty……sending hugs.

2. Wendy says:

I continue to have your family close in my thoughts and prayers, Marty. I cannot begin to imagine the loss you must feel but one thing I know. We serve a risen & reigning King who is faithful to never leave us or forsake us. He will restore. He will bring healing.

Thanks, Wendy, for praying for us in such a difficult season for us. Our God is faithful and we cling to His faithfulness!

3. Sally Croft says:

Such a profound lost for all your family. Sometimes, all we can do is just breathe and allow God to minister to us.
    Isaiah 41: 10 Do not be afraid, I am with you, Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strenghthen you, Yes, I will help you,
    I uphold you with my righteous right hand
    Prayers & hugs to all the family.

Sally, this is one of my favorite verses and I do cling to it during this season.

4. Lisa Simpson says:

Please know that you are still in my thoughts and prayers. One day at a time. Time heals your feelings of sadness but memories will keep you going.

Lisa, you are such a faithful reader and encourager! Thank you for taking time to pray for our family during this season of loss.

5. Mary says:

Marty, I am so very sorry about the loss of your brother-in-law! I know that time will heal your broken hearts – just as it has for me with the loss of my parents and two brothers and two sisters, but, it does get easier with time.

Thank you for your sweet concern, Mary, and for your encouragement. I’m sorry for the loss of your siblings and parents. I’ve experienced the loss of both and healing will come in God’s time.

6. Faye says:

Your faith is an inspiring, thank you.