This chocolate delight was one I made for my son-in-law’s birthday when he first joined our family many years ago. I lovingly refer to this as my “Deborah Senter” cake.
Deborah is an old friend and a fabulous cook. She often made this cake to bring to a church potluck and everyone gravitated to it, drooling and frothing at the mouth.
The question that my husband recently posed was why the name? This cake looks nothing like a Twinkie!
No idea where the name originated but I’m thinking it’s more like a ho ho (or is it a ding dong?)
This time I was feeling lazy and didn’t want to take the time to make three layers. Instead, I used two 9×13 pans and made it a two-layer concoction.
Chocolate Twinkies Cake Recipe
Chocolate Twinkies Cake
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 ingredients needed for cake mix
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz whipped topping
- 1 can chocolate frosting
- Grease and flour two (2) 9x13 dishes.
- Bake cake mix according to directions in two layers for only 20 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until creamy. Add whipped topping.
- Allow layers to cool then add half of the cream cheese mixture to top of one layer.
- Carefully loosen second layer with a knife and flip to place on top of first layer.
- Add remaining cream cheese mixture to top of cake.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set.
- Microwave frosting for 25 seconds. Stir and pour over top of cake. Spread with a knife if desired.
- Store covered in refrigerator
For more chocolate goodness check out these recipes!