This chocolate delight was one I made for my son-in-law’s birthday when he first joined our family many years ago. I lovingly refer to this as my “Deborah Senter” cake.
Deborah is an old friend and a fabulous cook. She often made this cake to bring to church potluck and everyone gravitated to it, drooling and frothing at the mouth.
The question that my husband recently posed was why the name? This cake looks nothing like a Twinkie!
No idea where the name originated but I’m thinking it’s more like a ho ho (or is it a ding dong?)
This time I was feeling lazy and didn’t want to take the time to make three layers. Instead I used two 9×13 pans and made it a two layer concoction.
Chocolate Twinkies Cake Recipe
Chocolate Twinkies Cake
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 ingredients needed for cake mix
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz whipped topping
- 1 can chocolate frosting
- Grease and flour two (2) 9x13 dishes.
- Bake cake mix according to directions in two layers for only 20 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until creamy. Add whipped topping.
- Allow layers to cool then add half of the cream cheese mixture to top of one layer.
- Carefully loosen second layer with a knife and flip to place on top of first layer.
- Add remaining cream cheese mixture to top of cake.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set.
- Microwave frosting for 25 seconds. Stir and pour over top of cake. Spread with a knife if desired.
- Store covered in refrigerator
For more chocolate goodness check out these recipes!