Almost Like Candy Bars Chocolate Dessert

Need an easy candy bar cake that will get raves from your family and friends? Try this easy Almost Like Candy Bars recipe and mix and match the chocolates!!

Are you having a hard day? Are your children making you a little crazy? Does it feel like every day is Monday?

I feel your pain and sometimes you just need a little bit of chocolate to make everything right.

These Almost Like Candy Bars are our family go to recipe for parties, events, church functions and family game night. They are easy and delicious, a throw together scrumptious taste of heaven in a chocolate concoction.

This is a family favorite not only because of its taste but for its simplicity. I never take these goodies to a function without being asked for the recipe. You can’t go wrong!

Ingredients:

• 1 pkg. devil’s food cake mix
  • 1/2 cup margarine or butter (softened)
  • 1 cup butterscotch chips
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1 cup Heath English toffee bits
  • 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl, combine cake mix and margarine; with pastry blender or fork, cut in margarine until crumbly.

chocolate brownie mixture topped with whipped topping on a white plate

Sprinkle evenly in bottom of greased 9×13 baking dish.

chocolate brownie mixture topped with whipped topping on a white plate

Sprinkle with butterscotch,

chocolate brownie mixture topped with whipped topping on a white plate

chocolate and white chocolate chips

chocolate brownie mixture topped with whipped topping on a white plate

and Heath bits.

chocolate brownie mixture topped with whipped topping on a white plate

Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over all ingredients.

chocolate brownie mixture topped with whipped topping on a white plate

Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden brown.

chocolate brownie mixture topped with whipped topping on a white plate

Cool completely and serve plain or with whipped topping or ice cream. Enjoy!

Almost Like Candy Bars
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert

This is a family favorite not only for the taste but for the simplicity. It's my go to recipe when I need a quick dessert.
Ingredients
  • 1 pkg. devil’s food cake mix
  • ½ cup margarine or butter (softened)
  • 1 cup butterscotch chips
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1 cup Heath English toffee bits
  • 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl, combine cake mix and margarine, mixing together with a fork.
  2. Press into bottom of greased 9×13 baking dish.
  3. Sprinkle with butterscotch, chocolate and white chocolate chips and Heath Bits.
  4. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over all ingredients.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden brown.
  6. Cool completely and serve plain or with whipped topping or ice cream.
Notes
You can mix and match your toppings (chocolate chips, heath bits, nuts, coconut, etc.) to your liking. You can’t have too much or too many!
I sometimes double this recipe and put it in a 10x13 (or lasagna size) dish. Allow extra cooking time. I judge this dessert as done when the cake mix that pokes through the top starts to brown. If you don't cook it enough it will just be gooier!
Nutrition Information
Calories: 10263 Fat: 563g Saturated fat: 199g Unsaturated fat: 317g Trans fat: 22g Carbohydrates: 1302g Sugar: 1071g Sodium: 6484mg Fiber: 57g Protein: 106g Cholesterol: 569mg

Want to know more of my family’s favorite desserts?

Snickers Brownie Ice Cream Cake from Marty's Musings

Snickers Brownie Ice Cream Cake

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Lasagna - Marty's Musings

Chocolate Lasagna

Oreo Dirt Cake - Marty's Musings

Oreo Dirt Cake

Almost Like Candy Bars from Marty's Musingschocolate brownie mixture topped with whipped topping on a white plate

Comments

1. WOW! I love ‘easy peasy’ recipes like this. And anything with sweetened condensed milk. I have learned to make my own…nearly sugar free even! Pinning!!

2. Barbie says:

These look so good!

3. OMG! I love a seven layer bar but you took them to the next level with the cake mix! Can’t wait to give this a try! So glad I found you over at Mrs. Happy Homemaker!

• Marty says:

I hope you’ll try them! They look impressive but are so easy (and so addictive!)

4. Katie says:

Oh my gooey yumminess. This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!

5. Mel says:

Oh Yum! I’m pinning this, hopefully I’ll get time on the weekend to give it a go 🙂

6. MMMmmmm! Thanks for sharing! This looks so good!!!

7. Katie says:

These look great!

8. Erin says:

These just look too amazing–and so easy too! That’s a perfect combination. 🙂

9. Christine says:

I MUST have some!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!!

10. lisa says:

Oh my…this looks amazing! Any leftovers? 🙂

11. Jessica says:

WOW! That’s all I can come up with to say. They look too good for words.

Absolutely love it if you could link up this (and a couple other recipes) to Wonderful Food Wednesday at http://www.athometake2.com.

Hope to see you there!
    Jessica @ At Home Take 2

• Marty says:

Thanks so much for stopping by!

12. Mmmm, nothing is ever bad when it has devil’s food cake mix in it! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

13. Gina says:

Oh yea- I’m totally making this – like NOW

14. Lauren says:

These sound and look SO amazing! Can’t wait to try them!

15. Jenn says:

Oh man, look at all those chocolate chips. This sounds divine.

16. Kate says:

Oh my goodness! This would be wonderfully gooey and taste fantastic!!

17. Stacey says:

Looks amazing. I must pin this for later!
    Thanks for sharing your excitement and ideas at the Creative Inspirations Linky! Please stop back next week for the Autumn Inspiration Linky Party to link up your fall ideas!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

18. These look amazing Marty. Thanks for sharing this recipe with Adorned From Above’s Link Party.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

19. Mandy says:

Marty, these look sinfully delicious!!!! Thank you for sharing them at Project Queen’s Link Party. I’ll be featuring them Monday night! I’m pinning them! Definitely making them for an event I’m attending next week.

• Marty says:

That’s great! Let me know how you like them. Pin away!

20. Christina at I Gotta Create! says:

Yowsa!!! The hubby is going to like this one!

Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

• Marty says:

Do you have great hubby, too? Mine definitely has acts of service has his love language and I love being on the receiving end! Have a blessed weekend!

21. Rebecca says:

Um WOW! These look AMAZING! Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend
    Rebecca
    Heronscrafts.blogspot.com

• Marty says:

Thank you! I hope you make them and enjoy them!

22. These look A-mazing.. all ooey gooey! Yum! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party~
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

23. Honey says:

This looks amazing! I think my hips are growing from just looking at this! You are so sweet to share your recipe at Potpourri Friday!

• Marty says:

I know. I kinda get lost in the picture and then find myself covered with drool (or chocolate )!

24. Oh my. These look sinful! So yummy. Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week & come back soon!

25. Michelle says:

Oh YUM! These look super delicious! I can’t wait to try the recipe. Thanks for sharing 🙂
    Michelle

26. Jerri says:

I’d love to try this! Looks yummy! Thanks for linking up with me. I’m featuring you this week!

• Marty says:

Thanks for featuring me! These bars are absolute chocolate goodness! Have a great day!

27. Hi Marty,
    I always have such a major sweet tooth. These look so good. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above

• Marty says:

Thanks, Debi. I’m with you on the sweet tooth.

28. You’re a STAR! Featuring your drool-inducing dessert today on the blog. Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!

<3 Christina

• Marty says:

Drool-inducing. Wow. I like that compliment. Still, it tastes better than it looks! Thanks for the feature!

29. Oh, my goodness. I make Magic Cookie Bars often (with sweetened condensed milk), but this is a whole new level of WOW!

30. Honey says:

Hi! You are featured this week at Potpourri Friday!

31. Jennifer Widera says:

These look delicious! Is it possible to substitute the cake mix with brownie mix?

• Marty says:

Hey, Jennifer. Thanks for commenting on my almost candy bars. I have no idea how the brownie mix would be instead of the cake mix but you could certainly try it! I guess just mix the brownie mix and oil together and then layer the other ingredients. You might want to cook it less and see if it needs any longer. Let me know if you try it because I’m sure we’d love that, too!
      [email protected]’s Musings

32. Kristen says:

These look absolutely sinful!

33. So glad you had Stephanie make these for us. They were awesome. So good in fact that I’m buying the ingredients to make some to get us through this snowstorm we’re going to have. Forget milk & bread. I need chocolate. And I will probably have some of these for breakfast during one of the snow days.

Glad you’re all set for the storm! Chocolate and breakfast go good together (since we know you’re unhealthy anyway. ie. Jimmy Dean 🙂