These molasses cookies are a MUST TRY recipe! Made from a basic make ahead starter cookie mix they are deceptively simple and delish!
Best tips for baking easy molasses cookies:
- Use parchment paper for baking.
- For the first batch bake at the last amount of time. These cookies bake fast so decide if you like chewy or crunchy and adjust the time.
- It’s important to chill the cookies before baking!
- Make a batch of Make Ahead Cookie Mix to have on hand when you have a craving!
- Roll the cookies in 1 inch balls and leave plenty of room in between on cookie sheet. They definitely spread out!
I am a chocolate lover from my days in utero.
Ok, I can’t possibly know that but I do know my mom loved chocolate so it’s probably a good assumption!
My grandmother lived with us my entire childhood until she passed away when I was 15. She had her own secret hiding place for her sugary goodies.
Of course, I knew where it was and might have on occasion snuck a piece or two! I know. Busted!
Now y’all know with certainty how far from perfect I am!
Naturally, I have my own chocolate stash whose location has never been much of a secret. Since I’ve been changing my diet and working out the chocolate mostly sits there untouched (unless a craving hits!)
But I do love it so much I have entire post of chocolate recipes on my blog. You really should check it out and thank me later.
So why in the world would I stray from what I know and love?
Beats me but since last winter I’ve been hankering for something different. This easy molasses cookie recipe is just what I was looking for!
The addition of cinnamon, ginger and cloves gives just enough of a spicy taste that’ll have you yearning for more!
Since I shared my basic cookie dough mix here (and a recipe for yummy Peanut Butter Cup Cookies) I’ve been working on a few other cookies to make with this mix and I’m here to proudly say this one is a winner!
I made a batch of these molasses cookies and had to hide some away just so I could take a few pictures!
These luscious little delights are unassuming but completely addictive. I might have actually eaten six when they came out of the oven (for testing purposes only! lol)
As you can see I dressed them up with bit of ribbon which would be perfect for a hostess or teacher gift during a holiday season or just because.
Just insert them into a simple paper or plastic bag with this cute printable.
If you’re ready to step outside the realm of chocolate, try this cookie and tell me what you think! Make a batch of the basic cookie mix because I have more recipes coming soon!
Try these recipes with the basic cookie mix:
Easy Molasses Cookies
Easy Molasses Cookies
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups Make Ahead Cookie Mix
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- granulated sugar for rolling cookies
- Combine butter and brown sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- Add egg and molasses and beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir together cookie mix, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in small bowl.
- Add flour ingredients into butter mixture and beat at low speed until well blended.
- Chill 3 hours or overnight.
- Heat over to 350 degrees. Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake 10-13 minutes and cool on rack.