Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar SoupThis post may contain affiliate links which won't change your price but will share some commission. Read more here.
This slow cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe produces a creamy, cheesy soup that’s easy to throw together for busy families.
I have to admit, I’m one of those folks who can eat soup any time of the year. Other folks? Not so much. I get it. You’re hot outside and come inside to hot food. But isn’t your dinner usually hot anyway? Protein, vegetables, etc.?
Can we talk about the size of that soup
trough bowl? That’s for all the moms with hungry teenage boys at home!
This crockpot Broccoli Cheese Soup is so very, very easy and a great solution for busy winter days and every other day in between. (My Jiffy Cornbread with Creamed Corn goes great with this recipe!)
- onion finely chopped (optional)
- chicken broth
- fresh broccoli
- all purpose flour
- sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
Pour chopped onions into slow cooker.
Add butter to crock pot. You can use softened butter if you prefer.
Pour in chicken stock. If necessary vegetable stock is an easy substitution.
Pour in milk or you can use heavy cream for a thicker blend.
Add chopped broccoli florets to mixture.
Stir all ingredients together and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hrs or low for 4.
Whisk in flour until combined.
Stir in cheese.
Cook on high for 30 minutes more or until cheese is melted thoroughly.
If this dish doesn’t fill you up add a healthy salad or a side of cooked carrots. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe
- Chop broccoli in smaller chunks for a smoother consistency soup.
- Can substitute low fat milk or non dairy milk for less calories or heavy cream for a thicker flavor.
- Homemade chicken broth is fine or use one chicken bouillon cube per one cup hot water.
- Use less broth for a thicker, creamier soup.
Be sure to check out the full recipe and ingredient list.
FAQs about Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 onion finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 4 cups fresh broccoli chopped
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients except flour cheese and cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or low for 4.
- Whisk in flour until combined and stir in cheese.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes more or until cheese is melted thoroughly.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Using a slow cooker (or crock pot) not only saves time but also lessens the stress of what’s for dinner!