How to Create a Fall Vignette

How to Create a Fall Vignette

I am so excited and honored to be part of the Scoop on Creating Fall Vignettes. (A complete list of participants is located at the bottom of this post.)

I have to be honest. Until I started pursuing this blog gig purposefully  I didn’t even know what a vignette was.

All Things Home Fall Tour at Marty's Musings

I just knew I wasn’t very good at them. But there’s one thing I’ve learned in this last year and a half of becoming a DIY blogger:

You can always find something to inspire you and learn from on Pinterest!

Our instructions were to provide step by step details on how to create a fall vignette and I’ll also share my tips on making do with less.

All Things Home Fall Tour at Marty's Musings

It all started with this window. My husband and I love to repurpose old windows into a table or even a family photo frame.

This is one of several windows my DIY hubby Tim got for free just for asking, and I plan on using them for years to come!

All Things Home Fall Tour at Marty's Musings

As I started pulling things together for this grouping I shopped my attic and the rest of the house.

Repurpose items and swap them out with other home decor.

These candle stick holders were used at my daughter’s wedding, last year’s fall and Christmas decor and even for Valentine’s Day!

I simply added a bit of burlap, ribbon and thread and the candles were ready for fall.

How to Create a Fall Vignette

Shop at yard sales and thrift stores all year long.

The two sconces were a steal at $1 each at a yard sale. They are absolutely perfect for this arrangement and in the future I’ll merely swap out the candle for a new look.

How to Create a Fall Vignette

Use natural elements. They’re free!

This oversized mason jar was another $1 yard sale purchase with pinecones, acorns and balls wrapped in yarn.

All Things Home Fall Tour at Marty's Musings

Add your own style to your existing decor.

This wreath was (yet again) $1 at a yard sale and I added the grapes and fabric ties (from an old t-shirt). Go here and here for more inexpensive fall wreath ideas.

3 Easy DIY Fall Wreaths from Marty's Musings

I found these adorable little ceramic pumpkins for $1 this summer while yardsaling. Are you sensing a theme here?

The whole vignette cost $10 at most.

How to Create a Fall Vignette

On to our entertainment unit in the den. I may never have a mantel but this large space provides me with ample opportunities to decorate.

All Things Home Fall Tour from Marty's Musings

Again, we have repurposing. The birdcage stays in this location but I change it up with candles or in this case a pinecone in a clay pot.

How to Create a Fall Vignette

I found the metal pumpkin candle holder at a yard sale and wrapped some glitter fabric around a dollar store pumpkin to add a little bit of color.

How to Create a Fall Vignette

These two flower arrangements were a steal for $3 at a yard sale.

How to Create a Fall Vignette

Move things around. Since I shot the original pictures I’ve added a couple of things and  rotated some of the decor around. Don’t be afraid to try a vignette and live with it for a bit to see if you like it. After all, we’re women. We’re allowed to change our minds!

Did you miss any of my DIY projects this fall?

I shared my fall home tour,

Fall Decorating and Home Tour from Marty's Musings

fence board pumpkins

Fence Board Pumpkins #fall

3 easy DIY fall wreaths,

3 Easy DIY Fall Wreaths from Marty's Musings

and a painted pumpkin craft project.

Painted Pumpkin Craft from Marty's Musings

I know you’ll enjoy visiting the rest of the bloggers on our “Creating Fall Vignettes” tour. Have fun!

Comments

1. Your vignettes are perfect for the season with all the beautiful colors of fall. Great mix of textures too.
    Mary Alice

Hi, Mary Alice. I’m so glad you liked my vignette and we got to enjoy the tour together! Have a great day!

2. Beautiful vignettes and wonderful ideas for creating them, Marty!

3. Such pretty vignettes! Thanks for sharing them with us!

Hi, Doreen. Thanks so much for the comment and joining us on the tour!

4. Great ideas for using what you have and creating pretty vignettes inexpensively. Every year I struggle with doing everything inexpensively so I just keep adding to my faux collection, buying things at the end of the season and re-using things from year to year. So jealous that you got that awesome window for free! Thanks for sharing your tips and I’m happy to be touring with you!

Hey, Julie! Isn’t amazing to buy things on after the season sale? You’re a woman after my own heart, but do you have trouble waiting until next year to use them? Me, too!

5. Kathy says:

Marty,
    Your vignette is lovely. I really like the way you have decorated the top of your entertainment center too!! I am a firm believer of using what you have, and thrifty finds. You’ve done a great job here!!

Hi, Kathy. Thanks for the compliment! My entertainment center has intimidated me because it’s so large. I’m hoping I can figure out something interesting for Christmas!

6. I can’t believe you found those sconces for just $1 each! I’ve been looking for some for a while and finally settled on a pair from Etsy. I like yours better. 🙂 Love your use of color!

Thank you, Jennifer! I grabbed up those sconces as soon as I saw them. They are perfectly rustic and distressed, just my style!

7. Oh I am with you, love to thrift shop and you found some real treasures. Love your vignettes and love how you repurpose your “finds”. Great tutorial too. Hugs, Marty

Hi, Marty. I’m so glad you liked the tutorial AND the vignette. I tried to give some tips as well, so thanks for noticing!

8. Anne says:

Beautiful fall vignettes! Wow you found beautiful treasures at yard sales.I was not as lucky with that this year.Thank you for sharing!

Hi, Anne. Thank you for stopping by to visit my fall vignette. I do love yard sale treasures, don’t you?

9. Love your vignette, Marty! My favorite…using the old window as a backdrop! Great tips! Thanks so much for joining us on the tour!…hugs…Debbie

Hi, Debbie. I love the window, too! I’m going to have trouble not using it year round, at least somewhere!

10. What a beautiful fall space you created!

11. So cool and I am impressed with all of your Fall projects. I love that you joined us for this fall tour!!

12. Kristen says:

Cute vignette! I love the old window… and great deal on your sconces! I’m glad to have been on the vignette tour with you!

13. Vanessa says:

I love your vignettes Marty and especially that old window!! Thankful we get to be part of this tour together my friend! 🙂
    Vanessa

14. Marty,
    What an awesome find in that window! You will have so many wonderful ways to use it through the years. Love your fall vignette! ~Christy

15. Heather says:

Stunning vignette Marty! Sorry I’m late visiting here! I love your window and all the autumn touches you added! So warm and inviting! I’m sharing your post on fb and pinterest today. It’s been so much fun to party with you in this fun blog tour! ~ Heather